Wireless restrictions updated

Caitlin Carter

All students are now required to download the Cisco Network Admission Control client to gain access to the Internet.

Previously, only students living on campus were required to use Cisco NAC, said Edwin Craft, director of Communication Technologies.

But with the advent of “WKU-WIRELESS,” all students, even commuters, use the same network, said Bob Owen, vice president for Information Technology.

“WKU-WIRELESS” replaced “WKU-RESIDENTIAL,” which only provided wireless access in the dorms, Owen said.

Cisco NAC ensures that students have adequate virus protection and updates installed to make the Internet as safe to surf as possible, he said.

The Information Technology department began the approach last week, Craft said.

It’s based on the beginning letter of a student’s Net ID, Craft said. On Oct. 27, students A through J had to download the client, and on Jan. 12 of next year, students K through Z must download it.

When a student reaches the time that he or she must download Cisco NAC, they will be prompted with instructions on how to download the software when they attempt to access the “WKU-WIRELESS” network, he said.

In addition to the Cisco NAC client, students must also have an updated antivirus software program with updated virus definitions, as well as the latest service pack for their current operating system, Craft said.

According to Cisco’s website, without an antivirus software and required updates, Cisco NAC will not allow a computer to gain access to the Internet.

The Cisco NAC client evaluates computers and determines whether or not they are compliant with the security policies in place.

Craft said students who own iPhones, iPads or Android phones will not be required to install Cisco NAC on these devices.

Also, the users on “WKU-GUEST” won’t have to download Cisco NAC, Craft said.

“WKU-GUEST” is the new network created specifically for campus guests that was introduced this year.

“We have a lot of visitors to campus,” Craft said. “Visitors could be potential students, people coming to our sporting events – basketball, football, baseball games – that want Internet access, and we didn’t have a good way for those people to have Internet access.”