Applications available for ISS graduate certificate

Hannah Bushon

Officials are encouraging graduate students who want to work with international students, study abroad or student services to apply for WKU’s graduate certificate program in International Student Services.

The foundation course for the 15-hour, completely online program will be offered during Winter Term 2011, according to an e-mail from program coordinator Aaron Hughey.

The program will help those entering the student services field to more effectively see a college campus from an international student’s point of view, and to be more empathetic to that experience, Hughey said.

The program will also help students learn effective methods for implementing successful student service programs, both domestic and abroad, he said.

Students who enroll are mostly from WKU, but some come from colleges and universities across the nation, Hughey said.

Rebekah Golla, who is a recipient of the certificate and a current WKU employee, said the courses she took were beneficial, and the certificate enabled her to be hired as an intern at the International Student and Scholar Services office, where she learned more about the day-to-day functions of the study abroad program.

Golla credits “The College Student Experience,” an elective she took for the certificate, with opening her eyes to a college student’s way of thinking.

 “(This course) would be valuable for anyone on campus, particularly WKU staff, to be able to recognize student needs and to serve them much more effectively,” Golla said.

She also applauded the format of the online program, saying that she was able to interact with her classmates from other places in the country, and the entire experience was rewarding.

“Any certificate a student can earn on top of their degree will only boost your resume,” she said. “And any way you can boost your resume helps.”

Students pursuing the certificate may complete the program by itself or along with a master’s degree in student affairs, according to information on the Counseling and Student Affairs website.