WKU strives for sustainability during October

Caitlin Carter

October marks a significant month for sustainability at WKU.

Throughout this month, WKU is taking part in the annual Reduce Your Use initiative.

Reduce Your Use is a campus wide activity that strives to make WKU facilities more “green” or environmentally friendly, Sustainability Coordinator Christian Ryan-Downing said.

Throughout the month, dorms partake in a friendly competition to see which dorm is the most energy-efficient. Students are encouraged to turn off lights when they’re not in use and to put extra effort into saving energy during Reduce Your Use, Ryan-Downing said.

At the end of the month, a winner will be determined, but throughout the month students can keep up with how well their dorm is doing by visiting the “dashboard” tab on the WKU Sustainability website.

During this month the GreenToppers, WKU’s student sustainability organization, will complete green projects, including distributing a guide to students that describes ways to eat, sleep, shop and live sustainably, Ryan-Downing said.

She said GreenToppers will also host a series of “Ecoflix” or sustainability oriented movies on South Lawn.

Also during October, Fresh Food Company will host a candlelight dinner to promote efficient utilization of lights and Celine Cousteau, daughter of Jacques Coustea, will speak in Van Meter Auditorium on Oct. 20, Ryan-Downing said.