Return to school reveals annoying fads

Wes Watt

So there I was sitting in my seat, trying to learn about stars and planets and trying not to fall asleep in my astronomy class. And that’s when I saw it – the biggest eyesore I have seen since Pauly Shore’s last movie.

It was unbelievable. It was flat-out scary. In fact it was so disturbing I actually thought I had fallen asleep and was having a nightmare. But I didn’t wake up, it was real. It was a guy wearing a bright pink polo shirt with a popped collar. I will say that again for those who might think I mistyped it. It was a pop-up collar, the kind that would make Elvis jealous. Now correct me if I’m wrong, but I thought the 70s were over. If popped collars are making a comeback, I didn’t get the memo. And please don’t send it. Because if it’s popular to wear pink pop-up collar shirts, then I think I’ll go spend the rest of my life in isolation because society is going straight to hell.

That is just one of the many instances that have annoyed me since school started back this week. Not only annoyed me, but puzzled me.

I’m glad to see Western’s bookstore racking up the money. I just love how I had to pay full price for a brand new book that no other school but Western is using. Great scheme guys. Now I don’t even have the option of buying a used book online, or even buying a cheaper new book. But the real kicker is how the bookstore will not be buying these textbooks back at the end of the semester. What a rip off. That should be against the law. The book is for the same class that the pop-up collar boy was in. Maybe I should just drop that class. I think it’s an omen.

And I still can’t figure out why people don’t know what a stop sign is. It seems people traveling up College Street in front of Cherry Hall think there is a stop sign present. Well, for those of you who don’t know, a stop sign is a big red octagon with the letters S-T-O-P on it. And if you didn’t know that, then you need to have your license revoked immediately, and maybe be deported.

But nothing can beat the rap music being played around campus this week. Hey, I love a good beat, but coming from a 4-Runner four miles down the road that vibrates the mirrors off of my vehicle is going a little overboard. If you want to play music in your car, great, but, don’t make it so it vibrates other peoples windows. For God’s sake, you might scare some old person into thinking we’re having an earthquake.

Which brings me to another sound problem we have on campus: cell phones. Once again, I was sitting in class when I heard the annoying “Friends” theme song playing three rows back. And if that wasn’t bad enough, three other phones started ringing in class. I really hope a teacher snaps up and hurls some student’s phone into the wall, shattering it to oblivion, and then goes back to teaching the class without uttering a word.

But with all the annoyances throughout the day, I don’t know if anything bothered me more than when I went into Lemox Bookstore. Above the counter, hanging from the ceiling, was a picture of a check. And on that picture were directions on how to fill out that check. I was so shocked I had to blink my eyes to make sure they weren’t playing tricks on me.

I asked the young lady at the counter, “Is there really a problem with people filling out checks? Did you really have to put a diagram up?”

She replied, “You would be surprised.”

The only thing I could do was shake my head in despair. Are you kidding me? I demand to see these people’s ACT scores. There is no way you should be allowed to attend a university without at least knowing how to write a check. Come to think of it, how did these people get out of high school?

So, people, when you’re around campus, try to remember there are other people around, and I am one of those people. When your cell phone goes off in class, don’t be shocked if you get a pencil launched at your head.

Wes Watt is a junior news/editorial major from Bowling Green.

The opinions expressed in this commentary are only those of the writer, and not those of the Herald or the university.