Singer, alumna Athena Cage schedules concert for Aug. 28

Shawntaye Hopkins

Athena Cage is counting her blessings – just like her grandmother told her to do when she was younger.

“Giving back has been a part of me from early on,” she said.

The singer and songwriter is now not only giving back to Western, but she also wants to help others in the community become successful.

Cage vowed last year to hold one concert annually for five years to raise money for a Western scholarship. The second of those concerts will be held on Aug. 28.

Tickets will go on sale June 15. The concert will likely be held at the Corvette Amphitheater, said Tom Hiles, vice president for Institutional Advancement.

Ticket prices are not yet definite, he said. He estimated the price at $35 for general admission and $10 for students.

Cage is best known for the song “All or Nothing (Live Your Dreams)” on the soundtrack for the film, “Save the Last Dance,” and had a duet with Keith Sweat titled “Nobody.”

Cage, a Russellville native and Western graduate, also plans to open a state-of-the-art recording studio in downtown Bowling Green.

The studio is currently in its developmental stages, Cage said. Circus Square is being discussed as a possible location.

The concert is expected to raise $100,000 for a scholarship to help Warren County and Logan County students planning to major in music at Western or those with special financial need, Cage said.

“Personally, I understand how important scholarship support is,” she said. “I went to Western and that was a very vital part of my being able to attend.”

The money will be matched by the state to create a total scholarship amount of $200,000, Hiles said.

He said Western is proud of Cage’s success and appreciative of her generosity.

The theme of this year’s concert will be pop music, Cage said. She said a legendary pop star will also perform, but the name of the person will not be released until June 11.

Cage said she will perform music from a new album that is untitled and has not yet been released.

Cage said she is waiting to release her album at the studio she is planning to open in Bowling Green.

Several Western students might also get involved in the concert, Cage said.

Louisville sophomore Vanessa Sherrod sang backup for Cage during last year’s concert.

Sherrod said she would be open to singing for Cage again.

“It was a lot of work, but I didn’t mind doing it,” she said. “I love to perform.”

Louisville junior Cherie Allgeier has danced for Cage for about two years, and she has traveled with Cage to cities such as Atlanta and Orlando.

Allgeier will perform at the concert in August.

Cage was expected to meet on Monday with music department head Mitzi Groom and Bill Scott, the conductor of Western’s orchestra.

Cage said she would like Western’s orchestra to play behind her during her concert.

“It just goes back to my love for the university and my love for the community,” Cage said about Western’s involvement in the concert.

Cage decided to develop the record studio so people in the Bowling Green area wouldn’t have to leave home to pursue a music career.

Cage said she previously had to move to Atlanta to get started in the entertainment business.

Reach Shawntaye Hopkins at [email protected]