Fall signing brings in seven players

Michael Casagrande

The Western basketball teams gained five recruits on the first day of the fall signing period, and the volleyball team signed two.

The men signed three players while coach Mary Taylor Cowles inked two on the first signing day, including a much needed post player.

Raquel Mattis, a 6-feet-1-inch senior at Coral Springs (Fla.) High School averaged 18 points and 10.5 rebounds during her junior season.

Bridjette Brown will join the Lady Topper backcourt in 2003-2004 after completing her senior year at Beechcroft High School in Columbus, Ohio. Brown averaged 18.7 points and 5.5 rebounds playing the wing her junior season.

First-year coach Darrin Horn signed Courtney Lee, Ty Rogers and Mike Walker.

Lee is a 6-feet-1 guard from Indianapolis. He is a Mr. Basketball candidate and chose Western over Purdue, Georgetown, Bradley and Ball State.

Rogers is ranked third in Kentucky history in three-pointers and is a 6-feet-3 guard from Lyon County High in Eddyville.

He is a 6-feet-7 forward and plays for Macon Southwest High.

Dave Telep, director for scouting at TheInsidersHoops.com, said Horn’s first class may be the best in the Sun Belt Conference.

Coach Travis Hudson also added some prep talent to volleyball’s future.

Ali Christian, an outside hitter from Sacred Heart, the Kentucky state champion, will fill the gap left by Derbort.

Christian was named to the Kentucky High School Athletic Association all-tournament team twice as the Valkyries won their first state title in school history.

Jenna Gideon, a middle blocker from West Lafayette, Ind., also signed with Western. Gideon helped the Rowdy Raiders of Harrison High School to the 2003 sectional title, earning her third straight all-conference honor.

Reach Michael Casagrande at [email protected].