WKU Global Learning center hosts a study abroad information fair

Georgia Mallett

Lindsey Houchin, WKU’s coordinator of nationally competitive opportunities, informs a student of scholarships available for the WKU Study Abroad program at the annual Fall Study Abroad Fair on Tuesday, Sept. 14, 2021.

Alexandria Anderson, News reporter

The WKU Global Learning center hosted a study abroad information fair on Sept. 14 in the HCIC from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.

The purpose of this fair was to exhibit the various study abroad program options, teach students about funding and introduce students to study abroad leaders. Virtual sessions with this information were also held from Sep. 13 to Sep. 16, starting at 3 p.m. each day.

“I think study abroad opens your mind and lets you live in other cultures,” Gabriela Vargas, a senior architecture and interior design double major said. “It encourages you to expand your cultural background.”

The many programs that offer study abroad opportunities were shown at the event. These included tables from organizations like KIIS Abroad, the Semester At Sea program and faculty-led study abroad opportunities.

“It’s going to give me a better understanding of the world,” Evan Holihan, a freshman said. “As a history major, getting to learn firsthand other cultures and their history is really important to my education.” 

The study abroad programming is offered because it gives students of all majors this real-world experience. Participating in these study opportunities is encouraged through the scholarships that can be found through the Office of Scholar Development.

“I think it’s important that we have these objective, on-the-field experiences, not just sitting in class,” Christian Butterfield, a freshman international affairs and English double major said. “Actively working in your field and industry and having that on-site exposure; it will be something that sets you apart from other students.”

News reporter Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected]