OPINION: Ranking the food options in DSU

Students stand in line at Fresh food court in Downing Student Union on August 27, 2020

DJ Stover, Commentary writer

DSU finished construction in 1970 and was named after former WKU president Dero Downing.

Today, it’s a place for students to hang out after a long day, to study for their next exam, for student organizations to come together and for meetings to take place. But, what DSU is known for is its food options.

From the appetizing Chick Fil A to the favorable Fresh Food Company, DSU seems like it has it all… kind of.

I will be ranking all the enjoyable food options from my many visits since August, but don’t get too hungry while reading!

#6 – Burrito Bowl 

Burrito Bowl offers many food items from around the world like the Sweet and Spicy Korean to the Baja Queso veggie rice bowl. Out of the two times I went, I ordered the Dos Amigos chicken burrito and the Spicy Korean veggie rice bowl.  

I have to say, even though it’s a neat little fast food place and convenient for lots of people, it’s not my kind of tea.  

I might get some hate for it because of the long lines I see every time I’m in DSU, but the Dos Amigos chicken burrito is decent and the Spicy Korean veggie rice bowl is okay.  

Who knows, maybe I’ll like it more if I go back and try other items. For now, though, it’s not my go-to place whenever I’m hungry and need a bite to eat.

#5 – RedZone

RedZone is WKU’s sports themed dining place and their items range from wings all the way to salads and sandwiches.

I’ve only gone there a couple times, and I mainly got the chicken strip value meal because I’m a boring and indecisive person. The meal was good and the chicken was okay but they weren’t the best in my opinion. Trust me, I’ve had a lot of chicken strips in my life.

Again, like Burrito Bowl, I need to go back and try other items because I have a feeling that they’re going to change my mind.

#4 – Papa Johns 

What I’ve noticed since the semester started was that a lot of the time, Papa John’s line is small. There’s usually hardly anyone there. Don’t let that discourage or distract you though.  

Papa John’s has always been my late night go-to place for food since they don’t close til 10-11pm on most days (bless them). I’ve been there many times during the day too, and it never disappoints.

Whenever I go, I’ll usually get the pepperoni slice value meal because that’s my favorite topping, but occasionally I will get the sausage value meal because that’s also delicious.

#3 – Steak ‘n Shake 

It was a while before I had Steak ‘n Shake again but waiting that long just to eat it at DSU was worth it.

Steak ‘n Shake was one of my favorite restaurants back in my hometown because I always got the chicken strips (I know, here we go again) and they were the best. Also, the fries were one of my favorites from any other food place.

When I went to the DSU Steak ‘n Shake for the first time in years, I decided to order something different: the hamburger value meal. When I finished it, I remembered why I loved Steak ‘n Shake so much.

It has many other great options that I’ve tried and I’m excited to try so many more.

#2 – Fresh 

Fresh is at number two for many reasons.

First off, Fresh has it all: fresh and savory pizza with different toppings to choose from, a home section that features the main breakfast, lunch, and dinner for that day, a salad bar, a sub/sandwich station, a desert bar and many more.

Secondly, the food there is really good. Some days when they have the Philly Cheesesteak, the hamburger and fries, and the fried chicken are some of my favorite days.

I can go on and on about all the good things about Fresh but you’re probably tired of me babbling on so on to number one.

#1 – Chick Fil A

If you didn’t see this coming, I don’t know what to tell you.

Out of all the food options in DSU, Chick Fil A takes the cake (or piece of chicken in this case). With all the amazing food options they have on their menu plus some desert favorites, this place is not one to miss.

If that doesn’t seem to convince you, go and see the long line on most days when it’s open. The students there will tell you that waiting for about 15-20 minutes is definitely worth it.

When you’re walking around campus, you’ll 100% see students carrying around a Chick Fil A bag because it seems to be people’s go-to choice.

Commentary writer DJ Stover can be reached at [email protected]. Follow him on Twitter @DeJayeJJ.