WKU political science professor passes away at 56

Photo provided by Cone Funeral Home.

Photo provided by Cone Funeral Home.

Alexandria Anderson, Content Editor

WKU political science professor Roger Murphy passed away on July 4 at the age of 56. He was a beloved husband, father, brother, friend and professor and will be dearly missed by the WKU community.

Murphy worked within the Department of Political Science for more than two decades. He is leaving behind a legacy as an integral part of the department through his role in the development of the international affairs major, his work as the Model United Nations advisor and his passion for study abroad and international education.

Born in Wallasey, England, Murphy first attended Manchester University in England, then pursued a PhD at Indiana University in Political Science. Continuing his lifelong role in academia, Murphy became a professor of political science at WKU.

Outside of the classroom, Murphy led study abroad programs to the Czech Republic and Central Europe for six weeks every summer until the pandemic. It were these study abroad programs that truly gave the opportunity to share his passion of international and cultural learning with his students.

Other than his passion for academia and travel, Murphy was known by many for being a master of trivia and a huge Liverpool Football Club fan. He was also an advocate for many issues, such as environmental conservation, economic equity and human rights.

Scott Lasley, chair of the Department of Political Science, explained Murphy’s impact on the department and on his students, mourning the loss of such an instrumental figure at WKU.

It is impossible to tell the story of the Department of Political Science without talking about the role that Roger played in it,” Lasley stated. “Reading comments from former students on Facebook, it becomes clear the impact that he had on so many of our students. He is going to be missed.

Friends and loved ones are invited to the celebration of life ceremony being held for Murphy on Saturday, July 16 from 4 p.m. to 7 p.m. at the Cliffs of Moher Irish Pub.