Hilltoppers earn 600th victory, pull ahead in MTSU rivalry

Western+Kentucky+University+Hilltoppers+quarterback+Austin+Reed+%2816%29+celebrates+a+touchdown+with+his+teammates+during+their+match+against+the+Troy+University+Trojans+Saturday+evening%2C+Oct.+1%2C+2022+on+Jimmy+Feix+Field+on+the+WKU+campus+in+Bowling+Green%2C+Ky.+Hilltoppers+fell+to+the+Trojans+34-27.+

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

Western Kentucky University Hilltoppers quarterback Austin Reed (16) celebrates a touchdown with his teammates during their match against the Troy University Trojans Saturday evening, Oct. 1, 2022 on Jimmy Feix Field on the WKU campus in Bowling Green, Ky. Hilltoppers fell to the Trojans 34-27.

Lynda Eernisse, Football reporter

The Hilltoppers (4-3, 2-1 C-USA) defeated the Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders (3-4, 0-3 C-USA) 35-17 for their 600th win in program history Saturday afternoon at Floyd Stadium in Murfreesboro, Tennessee.

The Hilltoppers’ victory was the latest chapter in the two program’s storied “100 Miles of Hate” rivalry.

“That was my first rivalry game with these guys, and you definitely feel it on the field, so obviously it was huge to win, get back over .500 on the year, get up to four wins,” Hilltopper quarterback Austin Reed said following the victory.

Previously, the record between the two teams’ meetings had been dead even at 35-35-1. After the Hilltoppers’ performance on Saturday, that tie is now broken.

“We checked a lot of boxes […] I guess we take the lead in the series – 600 wins, I mean it’s a lot of boxes we checked tonight and that’s why you play the game,” head coach Tyson Helton said after the road win. “That’s why you love college football, to have good victories like this.”

Reed threw for a pair of touchdowns, punched in a score using his feet and totaled 278 yards on 32-of-49 passing with just one interception. Sophomore receiver Malachi Corley hauled in his sixth touchdown on the year and running back Kye Robichaux and tight end Joshua Simon both added scores to the final tally.

WKU’s defense held the Blue Raiders to 291 yards of offense and freshman linebacker Aaron Key provided a sack.

The game started out slow, with only one scoring play coming in the first quarter. The Blue Raiders successfully brought in a 14-yard touchdown to take the early 7-0 lead.

The second quarter brought more action, starting with a three-yard pass to Malachi Corley for a touchdown that tied the score up at 7-7.

After this, the Hilltoppers were able to take their first lead of the game when Robichaux ran the ball 14 yards to the endzone. After a good kick from Brayden Narveson, the score was 14-7 in the visitor’s advantage.

The Blue Raiders made a 34-yard field goal to add three points before the half, entering the break down 14-10.

The third quarter brought more offense from the Hilltoppers. Reed ran one yard for a touchdown and Simon caught his own one-yarder for another score. WKU held a 28-10 lead heading into the fourth quarter.

WKU put up one last impressive touchdown after freshman defensive back Darius Thomas delivered a 42-yard pick six.

Middle Tennessee tacked on an 11-yard touchdown with 5:09 left in the game but the home squad’s attempt to jump start a comeback did not succeed, leading to the final score of 35-17.

Helton and his crew will look for another conference win next week on Friday, Oct. 21 at 7 p.m. CT against the UAB Blazers.

Football reporter Lynda Eernisse can be reached at [email protected].