WKU Women’s Basketball defeats Louisiana Tech University

Tucker Covey

Freshman guard Josie Gilvin (33) puts up an uncontested bank shot against UAB in E.A. Diddle Arena on Wednesday, Jan. 11, 2023. Gilvin made three steals and nine points in 26 minutes of play. WKU won 75-71.

Jake McMahon

WKU Women’s Basketball (9-8, CUSA 6-2) won their fifth straight game against the Louisiana Tech Lady Techsters (11-7, CUSA 4-4) Thursday, Jan. 19 at E.A. Diddle Arena.

Junior forward Odeth Betancourt played great in the win. She scored 14 points and gathered five rebounds in the game. Of the 14 points, 10 came in a very impressive four minute stretch in which she scored every bucket for the Lady Toppers.

“O.D. came out firing,” said sophomore forward Jaylin Foster. “They couldn’t guard her so she kept pushing.”

Foster also had herself a day against the Lady Techsters. The forward had 11 points and led the teams in rebounds with six.

Both squads stayed tight through the first five minutes. A nice contested lay-up from freshman guard Acacia Hayes put the Lady Toppers up 7-5 at the media timeout. 

WKU was able to find their momentum out of the timeout. An 8-2 Lady Topper run put them on top 15-7 and forced a Louisiana Tech timeout. The Lady Toppers were able to ride the momentum to the end of the first quarter, as they led 23-14 at the break. 

Defense was the story for both teams in the second quarter. The two squads could only muster five points each in the first five minutes of the period. 

The trend continued for the rest of the quarter. Louisiana Tech ended the quarter on a four minute 6-3 run, but the Lady Toppers took a 33-25 lead into halftime.

The Lady Toppers would begin to put separation on Louisiana Tech in the third. WKU opened up play with a four minute, 9-4 run to take a 42-29 lead. 

The Lady Toppers continued to add more space in the ball game. WKU ended the quarter on a 9-5 run, taking a 51-36 lead into the last quarter of play. 

WKU came out of the gate hot to start the fourth quarter. The Lady Toppers appeared to have ended the Lady Techsters chance at a late comeback with an early 8-5 run. However Louisiana Tech responded. 

The Lady Techsters went on an 8-0 run to cut the Hilltopper lead to just 10 with four and a half minutes to go. Fortunately, the comeback effort was too late. The Hilltoppers took the victory over the Lady Techsters 66-55.

“I knew we were gonna get better,” head coach Greg Collins said. “Credit goes to the young ladies. They continue to work hard and continue to play hard.”

The Lady Toppers will look to make it six straight against the Charlotte 49ers Saturday, Jan. 21 at the Dale F. Halton Arena in Charlotte North Carolina.