WKU women’s basketball claims two seed with win over UTEP

Tucker Covey

Freshman guard Acacia Hayes (10) shoots a three-pointer during the matchup with UTEP in E.A. Diddle Arena on Thursday, March 2, 2023. Hayes shot four-for-six on three-pointers, making 14 points in 19 minutes of play. WKU won 62-59.

Jake McMahon

WKU women’s basketball (16-12, CUSA 13-6) won a thriller against the UTEP Miners (19-9, CUSA 12-7) 62-59 Thursday, March 2 at E. A. Diddle Arena.

Freshman guard Karris Allen had a great showing coming off the bench. Allen dropped 14 points and gathered eight rebounds against the Miners

Sophomore Mya Meredith also had a great outing. Meredith had 11 points and six rebounds along with two assists. 

“It was a very big win,” Meredith said. “We came in with the mindset that we have to win.”

WKU started hot against the Miners. A couple of three’s aided an 8-2 run off the tip. UTEP fought back to cut the early deficit. 

The Miners cut the Lady Topper lead to two, 13-11, with a 9-5 run. However, a half-court bucket at the buzzer from Freshman guard Josie Gilvin solidified a great end to the first quarter and put WKU back up six, 21-15. 

UTEP closed in on the Lady Toppers in the second quarter. UTEP outscored WKU 11-7 in the first five minutes of the period making it a two point contest, 28-26. 

WKU widened the lead back to as much as seven in the second half of the quarter, but a bucket at the buzzer from UTEP made it a five point game at half, 39-34. 

WKU came out of the locker room cooking to start the second half. WKU scored seven of the first nine points in the period to go up 10, 46-36. UTEP battled back to make the game a two possession game, but another bucket at the buzzer, this time from junior guard Hope Sivori, put the Lady Toppers up nine, 52-43. 

UTEP pushed back against the Hilltoppers in the fourth quarter. The Miners took their time but eventually completed a 16-6 run to take the lead 59-58 with 30 seconds left in the game. However, a mid-range jumper from Allen put the Lady toppers back on top and ultimately  won the game for WKU, 62-59. 

WKU will look to lock up the two seed in the conference tournament with a win against North Texas Saturday, March 4 at E. A. Diddle Arena. 

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected] .