WKU Baseball breaks losing streak in matchup against Evansville

Arthur H. Trickett-Wile

WKU junior pitcher Lane Diuguid (41) throws to sophomore Ty Batusich (44) at first base to check a runner during the second round of a double-header against the NIU Huskies Saturday, March. 4, 2023 at Nick Denes Field. WKU won the second match 7-5.

Jake McMahon

WKU Baseball (17-17) took down the Evansville Aces (19-13) 6-2 Tuesday, April 11 at Nick Denes Field.

WKU collected a much needed win against the Aces. The Hilltoppers came into the Tuesday night affair having lost their last eight. 

Evansville jumped out to an early one run lead in the second inning, stealing home on a wild pitch.

WKU countered in the bottom of the fifth. Junior Andrew Delaney found the right field gap for an RBI double.

Graduate Kirk Liebert built on the momentum, hitting a two RBI single into center to give WKU a 3-1 lead.

Evansville cut their deficit to one with a solo homer in the top of the sixth. 

Sophomore Ty Batusich answered with a sac fly in the bottom frame of the sixth making it 4-2. 

WKU added insurance in the bottom of the eighth. Freshman Camden Ross singled to left, scoring junior Aidan Gilroy. Batusich also came across on the play following an error, 6-2. 

WKU will look to build on this win in their three game series against the University of Alabama at Birmingham April 14-16 at Young Memorial Field in Birmingham, Alabama. 

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected].