WKU Women’s Basketball opens 2023-2024 season with exhibition win

Tucker Covey
Sophomore guard Alexis Mead (3) drives into the paint under heavy defense from UTEP during their matchup in E.A. Diddle Arena on Thursday, March 2, 2023. WKU won 62-59.

WKU Women’s Basketball’s new-look squad treated in-costume faithful to a dominant 100-37 Halloween night win in their exhibition game against the Lane College Dragons. 

WKU dominated every facet of the game against the Dragons. While outscoring Lane by 63 the Lady Toppers dominated the glass 39-29 and forced 33 turnovers. Points off those turnovers proved to be a big story on the score sheet as the Lady topper fastbreak accounted for 35 points.

Newcomer Nevaeh Foster made her presence known in the exhibition. The freshman had 17 points and went 3-4 behind the arc.  

Last year’s leading scorer Acacia Hayes proved to still be a huge piece of the Lady Topper offense. She went for 15 points, four rebounds and three assists against the Dragons.

It was apparent this wasn’t a midseason affair early in the ballgame. A combined 13 turnovers, six from the Lady Toppers, plagued the first five minutes of regulation. However, WKU was really able to get into a groove on both sides of the ball. The Lady Toppers controlled the final five minutes of the quarter with a 19-4 run, making it 31-8 at the end of one. 

WKU’s dominance carried over into the second period of play. The Lady Toppers outscored the Dragons 29-13 in the ten minute quarter, heading into halftime with a 60-21 lead.  Part of WKU’s superiority in the quarter was their ability to control the paint. 13 of WKU’s 29 points in the second came from inside. 

WKU continued to control the game to start the second half as they outscored the Dragons 12-7 in the first five minutes of the third quarter. WKU ended the quarter on a 16-2 run, forcing 10 Lane turnovers, to head into the final quarter of play up 86-30. 

WKU’s fantastic showing carried over into the fourth. The Lady Topper defense held the Dragons to only four points in the quarter, as they wrapped up the blow-out win 100-37

WKU will officially tip-off their 2023 campaign on Monday, Nov. 6 as they host the Mercer Bears at 5 p.m. CT. 

Sports reporter Jake McMahon can be reached at [email protected].