‘No experience necessary’: Hilltopper 8-Ball Pool Club hosts first meeting of semester

Ian Pitchford
Manalo Romana, freshman exercise science major, watches the follow through on his shot during the WKU Pool Club’s first meeting of the spring 2024 semester, on Monday, Jan. 22, 2024, in the recreation area in Downing Student Union.

Students interested in playing 8-ball pool at WKU now have the chance – with the Hilltopper 8-Ball Pool Club, formed last spring.

WKU junior journalism major Colby Alexander and junior  Luke Clements explained their surprise in discovering there was no organization for students to gather and play the game. 

“We spent all of our time here [DSU] the semester prior and realized there wasn’t a club on campus, so we took it and ran with it,” Alexander said. 

In spring 2023, Alexander and Clements, along with junior Jayden Watts, founded the club.

The club gathered in the Downing Student Union Recreation Room for its first meeting of this semester on Monday, Jan. 22. 

Meetings vary in schedule throughout the semester. While previously hosting mainly singles tournaments, the club has begun organizing doubles tournaments as well in order to maximize engagement and playing time for students. Toward the end of each semester, Clements explained, the club holds two final bracketed tournaments for singles and doubles.

Students gathered around each pool table, alternating between playing and cheering on their peers. Sophomore history major Avery Grant, after hearing of the club through friends, began attending regular meetings in the fall semester of 2023. 

“Everyone is really nice and no one is judging you,” Grant said. “They’re all very accepting,” freshman visual journalism and photography major Stefani Decot added. 

Despite the game’s naturally competitive atmosphere, the activity is open to anyone and everyone, Alexander said. 

“My favorite thing is that we have people who, prior to Pool Club, had never played before … and that’s huge,” 

Such a wide range of experience among students fosters an inclusive space, where there is always someone in need of help and someone ready to extend a helping hand, Clements further explained.

Despite only entering its third semester, the club has witnessed considerable turnout, and even began fundraising through t-shirt sales. Marked with colorful graphics of Big Red and pool racks, the shirts are designed to encourage student awareness of the club. 

The fun of the activity extends beyond playing pool. Members are encouraged to attend meetings dressed in accordance with the club’s occasional theme nights. 

“We’ve done Halloween, Easter, rockstars vs. cowboys and sports themes,” Clements said. The co-founders even hope to incorporate an Adam Sandler theme for an upcoming meeting. 

All students are welcome, regardless as to whether they are a seasoned player or have never touched a cue in their life, Alexander said. 

“No experience necessary,” he said. “We encourage anybody who wants to come out.” 

The Hilltopper 8-Ball Pool Club meets weekly on Mondays at 6:30 p.m. in the DSU Recreation Area. Students interested in joining the club or seeking additional information can find them on Instagram @hilltopperpoolclub.

Video Editor Caroline Chubb can be reached at [email protected]