Student athlete spotlight: Sofia Blanco shines for WKU tennis to start 2024 season

Photo by Savannah Philpot/WKU Athletics

Sofia Blanco, a junior from Caracas, Venezuela, has marked her spot at the top of the 2024 WKU women’s tennis singles lineup, with an impressive 10-1 singles match record.

As she competes in her third collegiate season, Blanco has already made WKU history. Her 17 doubles wins in her freshman season tied the single season record in doubles wins. 

Despite her move to the United States to play internationally, Blanco has proven that obstacles will not get in her way.

“One of the things I remind myself all the time is to always fight and never give up… I just try to do the extra mile every single day,” Blanco said. 

During Blanco’s first year at WKU, her goal was to fight for a spot in the lineup. However, she stated her goal has shifted since her freshman year. Blanco’s goal now is to not only maintain her position at the top of the lineup, but to continue breaking WKU records. Specifically, she aims to hold the best singles record and surpass her own doubles record. 

“Now that I am playing at the top of the lineup, [the matches] are harder,” Blanco said. “I think these matches give me the mentality and strength to just face another though.”

While she has contributed tremendously to the WKU tennis program, Blanco is more than a tennis player. She is a baker, lover of the outdoors, and a student studying computer analytics. She received the 2023 College Sports Communicators Academic All-District honor and was named an Intercollegiate Tennis Association Scholar-Athlete, which is awarded to student-athletes with above a 3.5 GPA. 

Blanco heads into this weekend on a four game singles win streak as WKU prepares to take on Eastern Illinois Sunday, March 10 at 1:30 pm CT.

Sports reporter Shelby Huelsman can be reached at [email protected].