SGA passes legislation, introduces new scholarship

Preston Jenkins
WKU Student Government Association Senate members stand and say their oath as they are sworn into their new committees in the SGA chambers in Bowling Green, Ky. on Aug. 29, 2023.

The WKU Student Government Association met Tuesday night for their weekly senate meeting where they passed two pieces of legislation, introduced a new scholarship and discussed their upcoming trip to Frankfort for the Rally for Higher Education. 

Student Body President Sam Kurtz began his officer report by discussing the senate’s upcoming trip to Frankfort, Kentucky for the Rally for Higher Education this Thursday where they will meet with other SGA organizations from other higher education institutions in Kentucky and with several speakers. 

“We’ll meet with our House of Representatives representative, Kevin Jackson, who represents Bowling Green and Western Kentucky in particular,” Kurtz said. 

Kurtz encouraged current senators to run for reelection in the coming semester.

“I encourage anyone interested in doing SGA next year to please return,” Kurtz said. “You guys are the cream of the crop talent- wise. The only way this organization really continues to grow is by having returners because there is somewhat of a learning curve when people don’t come back.”

Chief of Staff Donte Reed introduced a new scholarship added to the SGA website in relation to the Uber voucher program sponsored by SGA. This scholarship is need-based and allows students in need of an Uber voucher the chance to be awarded four Uber vouchers by filling out the scholarship, which is due on March 29, no later than 5 p.m.

The SGA Community Builder Excellence Scholarship is due Friday, March 8 and is for incoming freshmen in the Bowling Green area. The application can be found via the SGA website.

Campus Improvements and Sustainability Committee head Rush Robinson announced the Earth Day celebration has been moved from April 22 to April 19 and there is a Bowling Green Cleanup tentatively scheduled for March 28. 

Student Mental Health and Wellbeing Committee head Sophia Bryant announced that the WKU Counseling Center is planning a “What Were You Wearing?” exhibit in honor of Sexual Assault Prevention Month. The exhibit is completely anonymous and the Counseling Center is purchasing the clothing for the exhibit. 

Bryant introduced legislation to sponsor t-shirts from the WKU Counseling Center for sexualsexual assault awareness. The bill asked for SGA to be an official sponsor of the t-shirts and to include the SGA logo on the back. The bill passed. 

Junior Senator and Student Experience and Enrollment Committee head Ann-Marie Wright and Reed introduced legislation for SGA to offer more dental vouchers in the SGA office.

A similar piece of legislation was passed earlier this semester and the SGA office ran out of 30 dental vouchers in a week. 

Bill 33-23-S asked for an additional 30 dental vouchers to be available in the SGA office. The bill was passed and vouchers will soon be available to students.

News Reporter Maggie Phelps can be reached at [email protected]