SGA kicks off new semester with new nominees

The Student Government Association welcomed the arrival of the new semester Tuesday with the first meeting of 2019, held in Downing Student Union.

SGA opened the new year with vacant seats in the senate chambers after nine senators were required to step down from their positions. As a result of these openings, SGA President Stephen Mayer presented a list of nominees to fill the seats.

One nominee for an open position, Damon Mansfield, introduced himself to the student senate. Mansfield said he hopes to work closely with SGA if appointed.

“My first action if I get appointed is to work with Mark Clark in the Diversity and Inclusion Committee,” Mansfield said, “And I also want to work with increasing retention rates among students.”

The student senate will vote on Mayer’s nominees at the meeting next Tuesday. Unlike recent meetings, no new legislation was presented to the student senate at the meeting.

Aside from the announcement of nominees to vacant senate seats, the first SGA meeting was devoted to welcoming everyone back to WKU and outlining the goals and upcoming activities for the new semester.

One such event is the upcoming “Rally for Higher Education.” The event was introduced to the senate by Executive Vice President Garrett Edmonds and will be held on Tuesday, February 12, at the Capitol Building in Frankfort. Edmonds said several state senators and representatives will be in attendance at the event.

SGA meets in the senate chambers of DSU every Tuesday at 5:00 p.m.

Reporter Jack Dobbs can be reached at 270-745-0655 and [email protected].