SGA passes legislation, swears in senator, names awards at weekly meeting

Preston Jenkins
WKU Student Government Association Senate members stand and say their oath as they are sworn into their new committees in the SGA chambers in Bowling Green, Ky. on Aug. 29, 2023.

Two pieces of legislation were passed, a newly elected senator was sworn in and the October Chief Justice’s Verdict Award and the October Senator of the Month Award were named Tuesday night during SGA’s 11th meeting of the 23rd senate.

Resolution 6-23-F: Resolution to Support the Alteration of Fire Drill Times would allow SGA to support the changing of the fire drill time from 5 a.m. to 2 a.m.

The resolution was created by the Mental Health and Wellness Committee, who argued the current 5 a.m. fire drill time is “unreasonable and causes sleep problems and anxiety” for students, especially those who have early schedules, receive accommodations, are prone to panic or anxiety or require assistance from emotional support animals.

The resolution’s authors are Geoffrey Aberle, transfer/non-traditional senator, Sophia Bryant, senator at large, and Callison Padgett, sophomore senator. 

Bill 12-23-F: Funding for Boys and Girls Club Toy Drive would allocate $200 to be taken from the legislative discretionary fund by the legislative discretionary fund to sponsor a toy drive benefiting the Boys and Girls Club of Bowling Green.

The money would be used to purchase wrapping paper, gift tags, scissors and tape to wrap donated items.

Students are encouraged to donate new toys and gift items for children ages 6 to 18. Donations can be dropped off at the SGA office, located at DSU 2045, from Nov. 13 to Dec. 1. 

The bill’s authors are Savanna Kurtz, freshman senator, Sarah Vincent, junior senator, Ethan Taylor, junior senator, Maiah Cisco, senator at large, and Connor Ferguson, Gordon Ford College of Business senator. 

Both pieces of legislation passed unanimously. 

Ashlee Potter, newly-elected ISEC senator, was sworn into her position during the meeting.

Having been a member of ISEC for the last 2 years, Potter said she was thankful for being elected into the position.

October awards were also announced to senators during the meeting.

The October Chief Justice’s Verdict Award was awarded to Livi Ray, Gatton Academy senator.

Isaac King, chief justice of the judicial council, said he chose Ray for the award because of the quality of her campaign, her dedication to tabling events since joining the senate, and her ability to always put a smile on others’ faces.

“Livi ran one of the best campaigns that I have seen in my 2 years in SGA. She deserved the win,” King said.

Ray, a first-year senator, said her experience in SGA so far has been “very welcoming” and that she has enjoyed getting to represent Gatton Academy on campus.

Additionally, the October Senator of the Month Award was awarded to Joel Hornback, senator at large.

Hornback said he is thankful for the opportunity SGA and Sam Kurtz, SGA president, have presented to him to “have a voice where [he] can feel heard.”

News Reporter Ali Costellow can be reached at [email protected]