Missing WKU residence hall mail linked to USPS employee mail theft

Molly Dobberstein

WKU Housing & Residence Life sent a mass email on Monday alerting on-campus students that mail theft has occurred at residence halls this semester. 

The email states that WKU Housing & Residence Life and WKU Mail Services have been working with a U.S Postal Inspector to investigate reports made by students living on-campus that they did not receive anticipated mail this semester.

The university has recently been made aware that a USPS employee has confessed to mail theft, likely linked to the missing mail of students living in WKU residence halls,” the email stated. 

The ongoing investigation is being performed by the United States Postal Inspection Service and the WKU Police Department. The USPS employee who confessed has resigned. 

“We are thankful for the efforts of the United States Postal Service to identify the cause of missing mail on campus,” Jace Lux, university spokesperson, said. 

Students are encouraged to report any suspected mail theft to Brian Coyt at [email protected] or by phone at 270-843-5793. The primary target for theft was greeting cards and letters holding monetary value including gift cards, pre-paid debit or credit cards and cash. 

“It is highly recommended to find alternative delivery options for money/gift cards through email, text messaging, or store apps,” the email stated. “If you need to send important or valuable mail via USPS, it is recommended to send through priority mail with use of a tracking number, certified or other insured process”

If students wish to file a report for stolen mail, they may do so through the USPS missing mail website. 

News Reporter Maggie Phelps can be reached at [email protected]