UPDATE: WKU Police investigating death at Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house

Police+are+seen+outside+the+Lambda+Chi+Alpha+house+adjacent+to+WKU%E2%80%99s+campus+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+7.+
Dominic Di Palermo
Police are seen outside the Lambda Chi Alpha house adjacent to WKU’s campus on Wednesday, Feb. 7.

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 5:48 p.m. with a confirmation of a death investigation and a statement from WKU.

The WKU Police Department opened an investigation today concerning a student death that occurred at the WKU Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house.

Multiple police cars, an ambulance and a coroner’s vehicle were seen outside the house at approximately 12:30 p.m., with caution tape blocking off the driveway and parking lot behind the house.

Jace Lux, university spokesperson, confirmed the death and encouraged students to seek support if they are affected by this loss.

“We have been made aware of a student death that occurred in an off-campus fraternity house,” Lux stated via email. “Police continue to investigate, but no foul play is suspected at this time. WKU is working directly with students who may be most affected by this loss, but we encourage any students in need of counseling to seek support from the WKU Counseling Center by calling 270-745-3159. We extend our deepest condolences to the student’s family, loved ones and friends.”

Jay Gabbard, a professor in the social work department, sent an email to all faculty and staff at 5:39 p.m., providing information about a student mental health support group to supplement the work of the Counseling Center. The meetings occur in room 203 in the Academic Complex.

“After the tragic news today-if you have any students who are hurting please feel free to share the information with them below if they would like come join us for support-our next meeting is Next Monday,” Gabbard stated.

WKU PD communications said in a statement to the Herald that police were still clearing the scene and that a police report with more information will be made available tomorrow.

Additional reporting by Debra Murray, Engagement Editor. Editor-in-Chief Alexandria Anderson can be reached at [email protected].