WKU PD determine student suicide at Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house

Police+are+seen+outside+the+Lambda+Chi+Alpha+house+adjacent+to+WKU%E2%80%99s+campus+on+Wednesday%2C+Feb.+7.+
Dominic Di Palermo
Police are seen outside the Lambda Chi Alpha house adjacent to WKU’s campus on Wednesday, Feb. 7.

Editor’s note: This story contains sensitive information and mention of suicide. If you are struggling with your mental health, please contact the WKU Counseling Center at 270-745-3159. If you are having thoughts of suicide, please contact the National Suicide and Crisis Lifeline at 988.

Editor’s Note: This story has been updated to include only essential information. 

The WKU Police Department has determined that the student death at the WKU Lambda Chi Alpha fraternity house was a suicide. 

On Wednesday, Feb. 7, WKU Police Department received a call at 11:59 a.m. from the Bowling Green Police Department about a deceased individual found at the fraternity house.

According to the police report, John Howard was the WKU student who was found.

Jace Lux, university spokesperson, confirmed the death and encouraged students to seek support if they are affected by this loss.

“We have been made aware of a student death that occurred in an off-campus fraternity house,” Lux stated via email yesterday. “Police continue to investigate, but no foul play is suspected at this time. WKU is working directly with students who may be most affected by this loss, but we encourage any students in need of counseling to seek support from the WKU Counseling Center by calling 270-745-3159. We extend our deepest condolences to the student’s family, loved ones and friends.”

The investigation is still ongoing. 

Engagement Editor Debra Murray can be reached at [email protected].