‘There’s a sense of pride belonging to this community’: WKU alum opens Topper Social bar

Eli Randolph
Cade Holcombe (left) and Tanner Thomas play a game of pool in Topper Social on Wednesday, Feb. 14.

WKU alum Jordan Greene hosted the grand opening of Topper Social, a new local bar, on Tuesday, Feb. 7.

“Our Grand Opening on Tuesday went well,” Greene said. “No major hiccups, everybody was excited for us to be open. I mean, we blew a couple of kegs but that just means business was better than I expected it to be.”

Greene graduated from WKU in 2018 and is a Bowling Green native. During his time on the Hill, he worked as a server for Steamers Seafood, IHCC and Montana Grille. 

These places inspired me to create a place where students and alumni alike can gather to socialize near campus with live entertainment, a place to watch big games, or just meet up with each other,” Green said. 

Topper Social offers beer, wine, cocktails, daily specials, and live music Thursday through Saturday. The bar is open every day from 6 p.m. to 2 a.m.

Topper Social is located on 1306 Center Street, across from Midtown apartments. Many students may know the location as the former Bowling Green bar, Hideout.

Tanner Thomas, a senior business management major, enters Topper Social on Wednesday, Feb. 14. (Eli Randolph)

The daily specials can be found on their Facebook page, Topper Social, as well as other updates and promotions. 

“It’s exciting to have students excited about what I’m doing here. I’m also looking forward to the idea that customers will be able to walk next door to the soon-to-be Food Truck Park between us and the Pike House,” Greene said. “A nice combo to offer Hilltoppers.”

Greene is proud to be a local business owner in Bowling Green and is hopeful that Topper Social will continue to bring the community closer together. 

“There’s a sense of pride belonging to this community and I enjoy working beside the other small business owners to help better serve and grow the downtown and campus areas,” Greene said. 

News Reporter Maggie Phelps can be reached at [email protected]