WKU softball sweeps Sam Houston

The+WKU+softball+team+watches+in-fielder+Sophie+Weber+%2812%29+bat+during+Western+Kentucky+Universitys+game+against+Southern+Illinois+University+on+Sunday%2C+March+3%2C+2024.+
Eli Randolph
The WKU softball team watches in-fielder Sophie Weber (12) bat during Western Kentucky University’s game against Southern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024.

WKU Softball swept Sam Houston State University in a series March 28-30 at the WKU Softball Complex, improving their record to 23-10-1.

Game 1

WKU defeated SHSU 3-1 in their first game of the series.

The Hilltoppers posted two runs in the second inning when fifth year infielder Sophie Weber doubled to right center. Freshman infielder Morgan Sharpe and freshman utility and pitcher Annie White both scored on the play.

In the fourth, SHSU posted a run, but WKU responded in the bottom of the inning. Freshman outfielder Kendle White homered to left center. 

Neither team scored the remainder of the game and WKU walked away with a win to start the series.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner allowed three hits and one run in her four innings on the mound. She also threw five strikeouts.

Freshman pitcher Rylan Smith pitched three innings with one hit, no runs and two strikeouts.

Game 2

In their second game on Friday, the Hilltoppers were victorious once again 3-1.

SHSU was first to score with a homer in the top of the first. However, WKU came back with two runs in the bottom of the inning.

Redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales singled to drive fifth year outfielder Brylee Hage home for a run. 

Later, Sales attempted and failed to steal second, but ultimately created misdirection to allow fifth year infielder Taylor Sanders to score.

In the fifth inning, Hage grabbed another WKU run on a wild pitch from SHSU. The Bearkats were unable to score and WKU clinched the series win after two games.

Smith pitched four innings and allowed three hits and one run with three strikeouts. Gardner threw three innings for the Hilltoppers with one allowed hit and two strikeouts.

Game 3

To close the weekend, WKU grabbed one more win over Sam Houston with a score of 5-1.

In a deja vu style, SHSU started the game with a homer in the first inning once again. WKU responded in the bottom with a homer from Sanders which also drove Hage home to make the score 2-1.

In the second inning, Weber homered to put the Hilltoppers up two runs.

In the following inning, Annie White singled up the middle to drive Hage in.

After a scoreless fourth, Annie White flew out to center driving Hage in once again.

Gardner threw all seven innings and only allowed three hits and one run. She threw two strikeouts as well.

WKU Softball will host Lipscomb University on April 3 at 6p.m. CST to continue their season.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].