WKU softball loses two in three game series at Liberty

The+WKU+softball+team+watches+in-fielder+Sophie+Weber+%2812%29+bat+during+Western+Kentucky+Universitys+game+against+Southern+Illinois+University+on+Sunday%2C+March+3%2C+2024.+
Eli Randolph
The WKU softball team watches in-fielder Sophie Weber (12) bat during Western Kentucky University’s game against Southern Illinois University on Sunday, March 3, 2024.

WKU Softball lost two in a three game series to Liberty University in Lynchburg, Virginia April 5-7.

The Hilltoppers now hold a 24-13-1 overall record with a 10-5 conference record.

Game 1

WKU grabbed their only win of the weekend in their first meeting with Liberty on Friday, 1-0. 

Freshman infielder Morgan Sharpe flew out to right field which drove redshirt junior catcher and utility Cheyanne Sales home for the only run of the game.

Fifth year pitcher Katie Gardner threw all seven innings for the Hilltoppers in shutout fashion. Gardner only allowed one hit and threw six strikeouts overall.

Game 2

The Hilltoppers fell 9-1 in their second face off against Liberty which ended in four innings.

Despite the loss, WKU was the first on the board.

In the top of the second, fifth year infielder Sophie Weber doubled to allow Sharpe to run in. However, WKU was unable to keep the momentum going as they did not score the remainder of the game.

Freshman pitcher Rylan Smith threw 3.1 innings for the Hilltoppers. She allowed four hits, six runs and threw four strikeouts.

Redshirt junior pitcher Kelsie Houchens pitched 0.2 innings with four hits and three runs.

Game 3

WKU lost the last game of the series 7-5.

Sanders was first to score with a homer in the top of the first.

Freshman pitcher and utility player Annie White followed Sanders’ lead with a homer in the second.

In the third, White reached on an error to drive Sanders and fifth year infielder TJ Webster home to put WKU up 4-0.

After Liberty tied the game up in the fourth inning, White singled to center field which once again drove Sanders home in the fifth.

Despite WKU’s efforts, Liberty posted three more runs in the fifth. The Hilltoppers were unable to respond and ultimately picked up their 13th loss of the season.

Gardner pitched 4.1 innings with seven hits and six runs. She also threw four strikeouts. 

Smith threw 1.2 innings for the Hilltoppers with one strikeout.

WKU will next face the University of Mississippi April 12 at 5p.m. CST in Oxford, Mississippi.

Sports reporter Molly St. Clair can be reached at [email protected].